With Tony we looked at the importance of opening sequences to a movie. We also disused on how we were going to create our own. First of all we had to watch 3 different opening sequences from movies to help give us inspiration and plan our own opening sequence.
Drive (2011)
I really like the use of the shot of the Los Angeles cityscape at 9:19 on this opening sequence, as it is quite dramatic and shows the vibrancy and night life of the city, which grabs the audiences attention. As my target audience is my class ( who are young) they should enjoy the vibrancy that this cityscape shows them. I also really like the font of the text on screen as it is wacky and is really different to other movie text which makes it unique. Furthermore I think the soundtrack is fantastic to the opening sequence as the song 'Night Call' by Kavinsky, is upbeat and draws the audiences attention. I definitely want to ensure I have a cityscape shot so I can make my opening sequence quite dramatic and an upbeat track to draw the audiences attention. From previous research I have learnt that my target audience are quite excitable, and will like the fast paced action.
Mission Impossible: Fallout
The reason I really like the opening sequence here is because it is fast paced and the text looks awesome. Its really important to me that my opening sequence comprises of a shot of a city just like there is on this opening titles. Although I can't recreate the action sequences, what I can re create is the gripping nature of this opening sequence as my target audience is young (college students) and they will most probably like something fast pace.

Animal Kingdom (TV series)
The following opening sequence contains many close-ups which can really indicate to the audience the fine detail of what they are watching, and it also heightens the drama of the opening sequence. The close-up of the tattoo needle creates quite a harsh tone and potentially signifies that this TV series has a violent nature to it. I want my sequence to be exiting just like this one to grab my target audiences attention.
I knew from my research that I wanted my opening sequence to be up beat, and include a cityscape in it. I also had an idea that my opening sequence was going to be about a city tech millionaire so in my opening sequence I would include clips of myself on the computer.
First I created two bins called Footage and Audio and imported the relevant media into them. I got quite a lot of my footage from online, but I ensured I edited it to fit my music and the opening sequence style I wanted. The song I used was "Midnight City" by the band M83. This music was upbeat and as my target audience was young I thought they would like this. Its important to note that my idea for my opening sequence was about tech millionaires in the city, so that's why I have lots of footage in my opening sequence of a city at night. I got to this idea from my research as lots of the opening sequence I did research into included shots of city's, and when I think of city's I think about the importance of the tech industry to the city's economy so this made me think that I should have an opening sequence based on this. Furthermore I filmed 3 different shots myself, which were of me on the computer, to fit in with the tech millionaire theme.
The following pictures are of my production and planning documents which I have learnt is a really important process as it gives you a clear idea of how your final project will look and how to achieve it. I have learnt effective planning saves you time in the long run.

And here is my final opening sequence video. Overall I am quite happy with my opening sequence, as I think the use of the shots portrays the tech millionaire theme I wanted to get across and also the upbeat nature that is really important for my target audience - the use of the music also helps this. If I was to do this project again I would ensure I filmed more of the shots, so I could have more control over the feel the opening sequence gives.
Drive (2011)
I really like the use of the shot of the Los Angeles cityscape at 9:19 on this opening sequence, as it is quite dramatic and shows the vibrancy and night life of the city, which grabs the audiences attention. As my target audience is my class ( who are young) they should enjoy the vibrancy that this cityscape shows them. I also really like the font of the text on screen as it is wacky and is really different to other movie text which makes it unique. Furthermore I think the soundtrack is fantastic to the opening sequence as the song 'Night Call' by Kavinsky, is upbeat and draws the audiences attention. I definitely want to ensure I have a cityscape shot so I can make my opening sequence quite dramatic and an upbeat track to draw the audiences attention. From previous research I have learnt that my target audience are quite excitable, and will like the fast paced action.
Mission Impossible: Fallout
The reason I really like the opening sequence here is because it is fast paced and the text looks awesome. Its really important to me that my opening sequence comprises of a shot of a city just like there is on this opening titles. Although I can't recreate the action sequences, what I can re create is the gripping nature of this opening sequence as my target audience is young (college students) and they will most probably like something fast pace.
Animal Kingdom (TV series)
The following opening sequence contains many close-ups which can really indicate to the audience the fine detail of what they are watching, and it also heightens the drama of the opening sequence. The close-up of the tattoo needle creates quite a harsh tone and potentially signifies that this TV series has a violent nature to it. I want my sequence to be exiting just like this one to grab my target audiences attention.
I knew from my research that I wanted my opening sequence to be up beat, and include a cityscape in it. I also had an idea that my opening sequence was going to be about a city tech millionaire so in my opening sequence I would include clips of myself on the computer.
First I created two bins called Footage and Audio and imported the relevant media into them. I got quite a lot of my footage from online, but I ensured I edited it to fit my music and the opening sequence style I wanted. The song I used was "Midnight City" by the band M83. This music was upbeat and as my target audience was young I thought they would like this. Its important to note that my idea for my opening sequence was about tech millionaires in the city, so that's why I have lots of footage in my opening sequence of a city at night. I got to this idea from my research as lots of the opening sequence I did research into included shots of city's, and when I think of city's I think about the importance of the tech industry to the city's economy so this made me think that I should have an opening sequence based on this. Furthermore I filmed 3 different shots myself, which were of me on the computer, to fit in with the tech millionaire theme.
The following pictures are of my production and planning documents which I have learnt is a really important process as it gives you a clear idea of how your final project will look and how to achieve it. I have learnt effective planning saves you time in the long run.

And here is my final opening sequence video. Overall I am quite happy with my opening sequence, as I think the use of the shots portrays the tech millionaire theme I wanted to get across and also the upbeat nature that is really important for my target audience - the use of the music also helps this. If I was to do this project again I would ensure I filmed more of the shots, so I could have more control over the feel the opening sequence gives.





Comments
Post a Comment